- Introduction to Laboratory:
Goals and outcomes.
- Why are we listening?
How do we experience the city with our senses?
How does working in one particular perceptual mode give you insight into the others?
- Introduce one minute of listening #1
- Introduction to class website
Out of Class Work for week one:
- Read: NYT articles on noise and silence.
- Weekly Listening: Listen to Tony Schwartz – Sounds of my City (6:44)
- Project: This is your Ear (click here for project details)
Create an ear on a 1″ square piece of Bristol paper. Work from observation. What shapes are in an ear anyway? Black and white. Materials open.
- Sound Journal #1 – Sound and memory
Write one paragraph on the following questions:
What is the first sound you can remember?
What is a sound from your childhood that is important to you? Describe it. Why is it important?
- Materials for next week:
- Sound journal (bring every week!)
- Writing and drawing tools